November’s the time of year when we focus on the things for which we’re most grateful and on spending time with our friends and family. If you’ve been invited to someone else’s home for a Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving celebration, don’t forget to show your gratitude with a thoughtful gift for your host or hostess. It can sometimes be difficult to know what to choose, so our florists at Marco Island Florist, serving all of Marco Island, put together an extensive list of creative ideas for hostess gifts.
Why It’s Important to Bring a Host or Hostess Gift to Thanksgiving
Bringing a gift for your host or hostess when you’ve been invited to a nice dinner is good manners. It’s the proper way to show your appreciation of the invitation and your loved one’s hospitality. Even if you’re attending a potluck-style meal for Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving, it’s still polite to bring a hostess gift, along with your contribution to dinner. It does, after all, take an awful lot of work and planning to arrange a sit-down dinner and prepare one’s home to welcome guests.
The Best Host Gift Ideas for Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving
Autumn Garden Blooms
Though similar to Thanksgiving, Friendsgiving is strictly for friends. Friendsgiving is usually scheduled for a day when everyone’s available, sometimes the Wednesday before or the Wednesday after Thanksgiving Day. This dinner is usually less formal than Thanksgiving dinner. When choosing a gift for your hostess, remember that fun’s always on the table.
- Bath bombs or a basket of spa essentials to help your friend unwind after everyone’s gone home.
- A board game or party game for everyone to play after dinner
- A set of funny fridge magnets to make your friend smile
- Party poppers to celebrate dinner
- A cornucopia of sunny flowers to help your hostess nail the Thanksgiving Day vibe
- A new yoga mat to help your friend stay Zen when visiting the family
- A set of kitschy oven mitts, featuring turkeys or pumpkins
2. Thanksgiving with Your In-Laws
Harvest Hurricane Centerpiece
Whether you’ve known your in-laws for ages or will be meeting your significant other’s parents for the first time this Thanksgiving, it’s important to bring a hostess gift to thank them for their hospitality. Choosing something tastefully elegant will show them how sincerely you appreciate that they’ve welcomed you into their home, family, and holiday traditions.
- A candlelit floral centerpiece to help complete their tablescape
- A set of whiskey stones and a bottle of special spirits
- An expensive bottle of wine paired with an accessory like a new opener, aerator, or wine glass charms
- A pretty box of high-end chocolates
- A stylish cheese board with a set of festive cheese knives and markers
- High-quality serving utensils because they’re always a nice touch on Thanksgiving Day
- A basket of gourmet coffee and other delicacies to be enjoyed Friday morning
3. Thanksgiving with Your Family
If you plan to go to your parents’ or grandparents’ home for Thanksgiving, it’s still important to bring a gift. You’ll show them how well they raised you and also how much you care. Pick an item they’ll love or something the whole family will enjoy on Thanksgiving Day.
- Fancy hand soap to make sure no one spreads any seasonal viruses
- Sparkling cider, so everyone has a special drink for toasting
- Toys to occupy the family pets
- A set of holiday cookie cutters
- Decorative Thanksgiving dish towels
- An activity, like a game or craft, for the kids
- Candles scented like the best parts of the season
You Can Never Go Wrong with Flowers
If you’re still not sure what to bring, flowers and plants are always appropriate and appreciated gifts. If you bring flowers, we recommend selecting a bouquet or centerpiece that’s already trimmed and arranged in a vase. Before dinner, your host likely won’t have enough time to trim stems and arrange a bouquet of freshly cut flowers. For more personalized hostess gift suggestions and help selecting the perfect floral arrangement or centerpiece, we welcome you to stop by our Marco Island Florist flower shop. We’ll help you choose the perfect gift for the host of your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving feast.